Discord is growing every second. It's no surprise, then, that Discord servers are popping up for all sorts of communities.
But what does it take to build a great Discord server? A perfect staff. In this article, we'll share some tips on how to build the perfect staff team for your Discord community.
As the saying goes, "There's no I in team." And that's especially true for Discord communities. A Discord community is only as strong as the staff team that moderates it.
You need a perfect staff team behind you who are trustworthy and can manage the server even when you are offline.
Have Active Staff Members
If you're looking for a way to get your staff members more active in Discord, there are a few things you can do.
First, make sure you have a channel set up specifically for announcements and/or questions. This will give staff members a place to go to get information and to ask questions.
You can also set up a bot to help with tasks such as moderating chats and keeping track of conversations. Another great way to get staff members active in Discord is to host events.
This can be anything from a simple Q&A session to a more complex game night. Whatever you do, make sure it's something that will interest your staff members and that will get them talking.
Finally, remember to be active yourself! As the owner or administrator of a Discord server, you set the tone for the whole community.
Have a staff structure
This contains the staff positions that candidates can apply for. You should at least make a Helper, Moderator, Admin and a Manager for your community server.
These are the staff positions that you would usually see in an everyday server. Some servers may have other roles that still contain to these positions/roles.
It’s important to establish a system, especially when making big decisions. Often, there are decisions that need to be done right at the very moment.
Make a Guide Channel
Your staff won't last a day if you don't make a beginner's guide to moderating your community.
You can make a separate channel or even a Trello Board for your moderators to get themselves oriented with the working of the server. This may include :
- What punishments to give for a violation?
- What are the basic commands they would need
Make a Application system
You can't just go on selecting random members and promoting them to Admin or Moderator.
You need to make a staff application on any platform (like Google Forms) and analyze the answers and choose accordingly.
You can have more than 2 rounds for selection of staff
- Application Form
- Interview Round
Give them Freedom
It’s very important to give every moderator freedom so they don’t have to ask every time before they can take action, but it’s also important to hear out as many opinions on any major server changes as possible, if time allows it.
Tips if you are a Moderator
- You need to maintain a professional image- this includes things like choosing your profile picture, status, nickname, or any other highly visible identifiers wisely.
- DO NOT mess around with the server settings, or create/delete channels, or do anything like that without owner's permission.
Make sure you are actively checking the staff announcements channel for important news and updates for staff members.
- Make everyone talk in the place they are supposed to. For example, if people are talking inside media, you have to let them know to chat in the proper chat channel.
Let people know to NOT flood the chat with gifs/images and such in the chat channel. It gets really annoying, and it won't look good.
- You will often face the situation of members not agreeing to actions taken against them. In those often heated conversations with an irate member, you need to keep self control by staying calm and resolving the issue.
- Discord Moderator Academy (by Discord) : https://discord.com/moderation
- Trello Discord Server Guide (by Xynox): https://trello.com/b/KpOyYPjn/discord-server-rules-by-xynox
- NaviKings's Tools and Templates : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yiyiDPEckcwG9NgpCFPFSroEzgLfASQC?usp=sharing
That's all for today, hope you enjoyed today's article. Make sure to join our official Discord server to discuss further on this topic or suggest new articles!